Soft, moist, and flavorful homemade apple quick bread with a cinnamon sugar swirl center, and topped with melted butter and cinnamon sugar.
Quick Bread with Apples and Cinnamon
While I was creating this recipe the original idea was to make a plain apple quick bread with cinnamon sugar on top but I decided that just wasn’t good enough.
So, I added the cinnamon sugar to the center as well and put butter on top of the bread before sprinkling the cinnamon sugar on top. These two simple changes took it from meh to spectacular.
The spice amount is just right, it is perfectly sweetened, and it actually holds its shape when sliced which is exactly what I was going for. The butter on top ensures that the cinnamon sugar stays in place and that swirl layer in the center creates this luscious ribbon of melted goodness. I love it!
I really enjoyed this apple bread for breakfast but for dessert, you can serve this spiced loaf warm with vanilla or caramel ice cream on top!
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Apple Bread
This loaf is quite simple and easy to make from scratch. It just requires some assembling.
Step 1. Make the bread batter.
Step 2. Make the cinnamon sugar.
Step 3. Place half of the batter into the loaf pan.
Step 4. Sprinkle that with 3 tablespoons of the cinnamon sugar.
Step 5. Place the other half of the batter in the pan then swirl it with a butter knife.
Step 6. Bake.
Step 7. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes then place it on a wire rack.
Step 8. Spread melted butter all over the top of the bread then sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar.
Step 9. Let the loaf cool for another 15 minutes.
Step 10. Slice and enjoy.
Since this is a quick bread it is made without yeast and it has enough ingredients that provide moisture so there is no applesauce in it.
What kind of Apples do you use for Apple Bread?
The best type of apples for baking are granny smith, honey crisp, and gala because they hold their shape and are a combination of both sweet and tart.
But for this recipe, you can use almost any kind of apple. It all depends on your personal preference. Do you prefer tart or sweet? Do you mind if the apple goes soft during baking or do you want the apple to hold their shape?
I used red delicious and some of the apple pieces “melted” into the bread while some held their shape.
The only apple I wouldn’t recommend is golden delicious because it’s too soft.
If you’re a fan of apple recipes that call for applesauce instead, try my applesauce muffins!
How to store Apple Bread
Store leftover bread in an airtight container or in a zip-top bag for 2 days.
Does apple bread need to be refrigerated?
Yes, after 2 days. If not, it will begin to smell foul and spoil.
Can you Freeze Apple Bread?
To freeze, place the fully cooled bread in an airtight container, or wrap tightly in plastic wrap then aluminum foil, or in plastic wrap then place it in a zip-top bag with as much air removed as possible.
How long does Apple Bread last?
It will last for 2 days at room temperature, 4 – 5 days in the fridge, and about 1 month in the freezer at best quality.
A tip for this Apple Loaf recipe: Use good quality, fresh apples!
Cinnamon Sugar Apple Quick Bread
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (2% or 3%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium-sized apples, peeled & finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Layer & Topping
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Make the Bread Batter
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat in the oil and eggs.
- Stir in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the apples and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour and mix until combined (the batter will be thick). Do not overmix.
Make the Cinnamon Sugar
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon.
Assemble and Bake
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Transfer half of the batter to the pan and smooth the top into an even layer.
- Sprinkle it evenly with 3 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar.
- Place the other half of batter over top and smooth into an even layer.
- Stick a butter knife into one end of the batter and hold it upright.
- Drag the dull side through the batter in a tight ‘S’ pattern all the way to the other end (this creates a swirl in the center).
- Remove the knife and close any gaps at the top, if needed.
- Bake for 62 – 64 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out completely clean or with fully baked crumbs, no wet batter.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then remove it and transfer to a wire rack.
Time for the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- Using a spoon or pastry brush spread the melted butter evenly over the top of the bread.
- Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Let the bread cool for at least 10 – 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm or cooled completely.
© Beat Bake Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without written consent from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.