A buttery, buttermilk almond pound cake baked in a loaf pan and topped with a creamy almond glaze.
9×5 inch Almond Pound Cake Loaf
This homemade cake fits perfectly in a 9×5 inch loaf pan and it takes about 1 hour to bake. It is very beginner-friendly. It calls for simple ingredients, it’s made in one bowl, and it’s super easy.
So for those of you who are searching for an almond pound cake for sale, stop searching and just make it yourself!
Pound Cake with Almond Extract
There are actually no almonds in this recipe; just pure almond extract in both the cake and the glaze. I did think about adding them though but I’m glad I didn’t. This recipe is perfect just the way it is. However, feel free to decorate the top with sliced or slivered almonds if you want to.
It calls for a total of 1 ¼ teaspoons of pure almond extract. I did not hold back. I wanted every single bite to be distinctly almond flavored.
Originally, I wanted to leave this cake plain but somehow it just felt too simple. And you know what the perfect topping for an almond pound cake is? Why an almond flavored glaze of course!
Don’t worry, it isn’t much so it doesn’t make the cake overly sweet. It just adds pizazz, a bit more of that almond flavor, and because it’s so creamy it contrasts with the texture of the cake.
Almond Pound Cake Recipe with Buttermilk
Can you put buttermilk in pound cake? Buttermilk can be used in almost any cake recipe but keep in mind that it will change the taste and texture of the cake.
What does buttermilk do in a cake? Cakes that are made with buttermilk tend to have a finer crumb, are softer and more tender, and more flavorful.
This cake is so soft and buttery, moist and pleasantly dense with a crisp crust. I love the way it looks, the way it smells, the way it tastes.
I can’t believe I made this completely from scratch. It is to die for!
How I made this Pound Cake moist
I made sure that there was enough butter and eggs for the amount of flour that I was using. I added the buttermilk to aid in keeping the cake moist, and I baked it at 325 degrees Fahrenheit because I tried 350 with this cake and the crust was way too dark, dry, and slightly burnt. The lower temperature was much better.
I really hope that you enjoy this cake as much as my family and I did! So without further ado, this is how to make a small but the best, almond pound cake you’ve ever had.
Loaf Pan Buttermilk Almond Pound Cake
Click the stars to rate!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I used 1%)
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons milk or cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- To a large bowl add the butter, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, beat until fluffy and doubled in size, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs - make sure they are fully incorporated.
- Stir in the buttermilk and almond extract. (The butter will curdle. This is completely normal.)
- Add the flour and mix until fully incorporated, but do not overmix.
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and smooth the top into an even layer.
- Bake for 60 – 62 minutes until the edges are dark or golden brown, the top is set, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with very few crumbs.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
- Let the cake cool for at least 45 minutes before glazing.
Make the Glaze
- To a small bowl, add the butter, milk/cream, and almond extract.
- Use a fork to combine.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix well until fully incorporated and lump-free. Add a splash of water if glaze is too thick.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.
© Beat Bake Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without written consent from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.