Are chocolate chip muffins healthy? They can be! These sugar free chocolate chip muffins made with greek yogurt and whole wheat flour are soft, moist, and delicious. They’re quick and easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for a protein packed breakfast or snack!
Having bakery style chocolate chip muffins for breakfast on the weekend with my family is one of my favorite things to do. However, choc chip muffins pack a whole lot of calories and saturated fat that aren’t all that great for you. And if you’re going to eat all those calories they might as well be good, healthy calories.
That’s why I’m presenting you with this healthified version of a classic recipe. These healthy chocolate chip muffins are made with greek yogurt for some extra protein, whole wheat flour for fiber, oil instead of butter, and no sugar.
You can find the nutrition facts for these muffins at the bottom of the recipe.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins with No Sugar
Since there’s no sugar in this recipe these muffins are naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup. It doesn’t matter which one you use. From my experience they both taste almost exactly the same when being used to sweeten muffins.
You’ll notice that there’s a small amount of chocolate chips in this recipe compared to others and that’s because this recipe yields 9 muffins. Also, chocolate can sometimes be overpowering in muffins so I like to put just enough so that there’s only about two in every bite. But if you prefer a really chocolate-y muffin then feel free to add more!
Like I said above, this recipe yields 9 muffins and that’s on purpose because if you were to divide the batter to make 12 muffins they wouldn’t be these beautifully jumbo chocolate chip muffins with gorgeously big tops. They’d be small and you know I love me some good bakery style muffins.
Despite these being whole wheat chocolate chip muffins they’re super moist thanks to the greek yogurt and oil.
Now that I have this lovely recipe, having healthy chocolate chip muffins for breakfast with my family on a week day is one of my favorite things to do too.
More Whole Wheat Muffin Recipes:
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Banana Muffins
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Muffins
- Healthy Banana Applesauce Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Banana Muffins
Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Chocolate Chip Muffins
Click the stars to rate!
- 1/2 cup 2% greek yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 2/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (mini or regular sized)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin pan with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the greek yogurt, honey/maple syrup, oil, and milk.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated then fold in the chocolate chips. DO NOT over mix.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan distributing it evenly between the 9 muffin cups.
- Bake for 17 – 18 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes then remove.
© Beat Bake Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without written consent from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.